The 2018 Asian Conference of Women’s Shelters will take place in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan on November 2 before the Japan National Shelters Symposium on November 3-4, 2018.
- Theme: Evidence based research on shelter needs and the status of laws to prevent domestic violence and protect survivors in Asia
- Venue: Tokyo & Sapporo, Japan
- Dates: October 30-November 4, 2018
- Organizers: The Garden of Hope Foundation, All Japan Women’s Shelter Network, Hiroshima University, Asian Network of Women’s Shelters
The Asian Conference of Women’s Shelters will be an international platform for scholars, researchers and shelter practitioners to discuss interdisciplinary research and practices in the fields of establishing and running a shelter in Asia, and collection and analysis of data on domestic violence.
The goal of the conference is to produce a report on shelter needs and review the current domestic violence prevention laws in Asia. The report will be a tool for NGOs in the region to advocate for better shelter services and lobby for law reform.
The conference is organized in partnership with the All Japan Women’s Shelter Network and Hiroshima University. As well as leaders of the Asian shelter movement, Ms. Rosa Logar, former president of Women Against Violence in Europe (WAVE), will be a guest speaker at the event.
- October 30 (Tue) Arrive in Tokyo.
- October 31, 2018 (Wed) Meeting with Japanese government officials. Travel to Sapporo.
- Nov 1, 2018 (Thu) City tour, ANWS board meeting (closed), Sapporo shelter study tour.
- Nov 2, 2018 (Fri) Asian Conference of Women’s Shelters.
- Nov 3, 2018 (Sat) 21st National Japan Shelter Symposium.
- Nov 4 (Sun) 21st National Japan Shelter Symposium (workshops in Japanese language), foreign guests return.
If you are interested in attending or would like to receive more details, please contact the ANWS secretariat.